Ginger and Tonic Vintage Life Blog

Ginger and Tonic Vintage Life Blog
Welcome to the Ginger and Tonic Vintage Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2011

My First Car: 1971 Mercury Cougar

Right about the time people were driving cute little Datsun 280Z and VW Rabbit Cabriolets I turned 16. I also had my first and honestly the LAST surprise party thrown for me in my life, my 16th birthday party! It was at that party I received the second biggest surprise, my first car 
A 1971 Mercury Cougar. 
 We affectionately referred to her as the "Banana Boat" which is accurate as she was a vessel not just a car.  
Here is a picture of it with some very lovely models. :)


The night of the party, they covered my eyes and walked me out into the driveway for the "reveal" surrounded my about 5 of my friends.  I was stunned.  They pulled off the whole surprise event really well!

Side note:  If I havent ever properly thanked you Mom & Dad, friends and fam....Thank you!  
I loved the party and I loved my car.
 
In front of me was a 1971 Mercury Cougar, Automatic, BRIGHT Yellow with black vinyl on the roof, all black leather interior, AM Radio, Electric Windows (that were the first thing to break).
Yellow UNTIL I had it painted this sweet shade of metallic blue.

Another set of lovely models. :)

Really great condition, until it started falling apart piece by piece.  But even when it was falling apart, my friends and I loved it.  Had some dang good times in it! 

I wish it were still around, although I couldnt AFFORD the gas!  Bing! I could park it in front of my house and rent it out to friends who want a place to crash 8 blocks from the beach.  It was very roomy inside and the trunk was HUGE. :)   
Anyway....may she RIP.   Muscle Cars rock too!  XOXO
 

No comments: